Wills and Probate

Wills and Probate

obrien redmond wills


Everyone should make a Will with a Solicitor. 

If you are married, then your spouse and children are normally the immediate beneficiaries of Wills. Your spouse by law has a legal right to half of your estate if there are no children and if there are children then your spouse has a legal right to a 1/3 share of the estate.

When making a Will you will need to appoint an Executor, we would recommend that you appoint two Executors. These people are chosen by you to deal with your Estate after your death. They will ensure that your Will is acted upon in the correct manner and that your Estate is distributed accordingly. Your chosen Executor can be a friend, family member or advisor. 

The average cost of making a Will is €150.00 +Vat.

Please contact our office today to make an appointment info@obrlaw.ie


Extracting a Grant of Probate

If you have recently lost a loved one or have been advised that you have been appointed an Executor and need advice on how to proceed with administering an Estate so as to fulfil the wishes of their Will, please contact our office and we will arrange a meeting.

We can assist the Executors or Next of Kin of a deceased person's estate on their duties and obligations, from the initial procedures after the death through to the distribution of the assists of the estate.


Enduring Power of Attorney-EPO

Have you considered how you or your family would cope if you were to become unable to manage your own affairs due to mental incapacity?

An Enduring Power of Attorney is a legal document in which you appoint someone you trust to look after your affairs on your behalf should you become unwell and unable to manage your own affairs.

We recommend that you consider executing an Enduring Powers of Attorney when you are in good health. Often it can be too late when action is taken to set up the EPOA.  The Power of Attorney is not effective until the person is proven to be unable to look after their own affairs.


Ward of Court

In Ireland, if a person is capable of managing his or her own affairs due to mental incapacity, an application can be made to the Court to have that person made a Ward of Court. The court will make a decision as to whether the person is capable of managing his or her own affairs. If it is decided that the person can no longer manage their own affairs, they are made a Ward of Court. A Committee will be appointed, accountable to the court, to take charge of the Ward’s property on the Ward’s behalf.